Author:Ralph Waldo Emerson
|←Author Index: Em||Ralph Waldo Emerson
|American essayist and transcendentalist philosopher|
Essays and Collections
- An oration, delivered before the Phi Beta Kappa Society, at Cambridge, August 31, 1837 (1838), or The American Scholar
- Divinity School Address (1838)
- Literary Ethics (1838)
- Essays (1841); revised and reissued as Essays: First Series (1847) (transcription project)
- Man the Reformer (1841)
- The Conservative (1841)
- The Method of Nature (1841)
- The Transcendentalist (1842)
- Essays: Second Series (1844)
- The Young American (1844)
- War. (1849), in Æesthetic Papers
- Representative Men (1850)
- English Traits (1856)
- The Conduct of Life (1860)
- "Thoreau" ("Biographical Sketch") in Excursions (1863)
- “Saadi,” in The Atlantic Monthly, 14 (81) (1864)
- Lectures and Biographical Sketches (1868)
- Society and Solitude (1870)
- Parnassus (1874)
- Letters and Social Aims (1876)
- The Complete Works of Ralph Waldo Emerson, Riverside Edition (1884) Vol. 1, Vol. 2, Vol. 3, Vol. 4, Vol. 5, Vol. 6, Vol. 7, Vol. 8, Vol. 9, Vol. 10, Vol. 11, Vol. 12.
- The Complete Works of Ralph Waldo Emerson, Centenary Edition (1904)
The following are published works of poetry. For individual poems, see Index of Titles.
- Poems (1847)
- May-day and other pieces (1867)
- Poems (1893) containing most pieces included in Poems (1847) and May-Day (1867)
- Poems: Household Edition (1904)
- "The Mountain and the Squirrel" (quoted in An Argosy of Fables (1921)) Also published as "Fable".
- Untitled in Birdcraft on Chickadees published in 1895.
Published Translator of Poems
Poems in Manuscript
Translator of Poems in Manuscript
- Alas, Alas, that I am betrayed by Michel Angelo Buonorotti
- The power of a beautiful face lifts me to heaven by Michel Angelo Buonorotti
- Sweet, sweet, is sleep,—Ah! sweeter, to be stone by Michel Angelo Buonorotti
- Wo is me woe's me when I think by Michel Angelo Buonorotti
Works about Emerson
- A Fable for Critics (1848) by James Russell Lowell
- A memoir of Ralph Waldo Emerson by James Elliot Cabot (1887) vol 1, vol 2
- Emerson in Concord; a memoir by Edward Waldo Emerson (1889) external link
- “Ralph Waldo Emerson,” in Littell's Living Age, 1 (1)
- “Emerson, Ralph Waldo” in The American Cyclopædia, 1879.
- “Emerson, Ralph Waldo,” by George Parsons Lathrop in Appletons' Cyclopædia of American Biography, New York: D. Appleton and Co. (1900)
- William Peterfield Trent, “Emerson, Ralph Waldo,” The New International Encyclopædia. New York: Dodd, Mead and Co., 1905.
- “Emerson, Ralph Waldo,” in A Short Biographical Dictionary of English Literature by John William Cousin, London: J. M. Dent & Sons, 1910.
- “Emerson, Ralph Waldo”, in Encyclopædia Britannica, (11th ed.), 1911
- “Emerson, Ralph Waldo,” by Franklin Benjamin Sanborn in The Encyclopedia Americana, New York: The Encyclopedia Americana Corporation (1920)
- "Emerson" in Studies of a Biographer vol. 4 (1902) by Leslie Stephen