Author:Ralph Waldo Emerson
|←Author Index: Em||Ralph Waldo Emerson
|American essayist and transcendentalist philosopher.|
Essays and Collections
- Nature (1836)
- An oration, delivered before the Phi Beta Kappa Society, at Cambridge, August 31, 1837 (1838), or The American Scholar
- Divinity School Address (1838)
- Literary Ethics (1838)
- Essays (1841); revised and reissued as Essays: First Series (1847)
- Man the Reformer (1841)
- The Conservative (1841)
- The Method of Nature (1841)
- The Transcendentalist (1842)
- Essays: Second Series (1844)
- The Young American (1844)
- War. (1849), in Æesthetic Papers
- Representative Men (1850)
- English Traits (1856)
- The Conduct of Life (1860)
- Lectures and Biographical Sketches (1868)
- Society and Solitude (1870)
- Parnassus (1874)
- Letters and Social Aims (1876)
- The Complete Works of Ralph Waldo Emerson, Riverside Edition (1884)
- The Complete Works of Ralph Waldo Emerson, Centenary Edition (1904)
The following are published works of poetry. For individual poems, see Index of Titles.
- Poems (1847)
- May-day and other pieces (1867)
- Poems (1893) containing most pieces included in Poems (1847) and May-Day (1867)
- Poems: Household Edition (1904)
Published Translator of Poems
Poems in Manuscript
Translator of Poems in Manuscript
- Alas, Alas, that I am betrayed by Michel Angerlo Buonorotti
- The power of a beautiful face lifts me to heaven by Michel Angerlo Buonorotti
- Sweet, sweet, is sleep,—Ah! sweeter, to be stone by Michel Angerlo Buonorotti
- Wo is me woe's me when I think by Michel Angerlo Buonorotti
Works about Emerson
- A Fable for Critics (1848) by James Russell Lowell
- “Ralph Waldo Emerson” in Littell's Living Age, 1 (1)
- “Emerson, Ralph Waldo” in The American Cyclopædia, 1879.
- George Parsons Lathrop, “Emerson, Ralph Waldo,” Appletons' Cyclopædia of American Biography. New York: D. Appleton and Co., 1900.
- William Peterfield Trent, “Emerson, Ralph Waldo,” The New International Encyclopædia. New York: Dodd, Mead and Co., 1905.
- “Emerson, Ralph Waldo,” in A Short Biographical Dictionary of English Literature by John William Cousin, London: J. M. Dent & Sons, 1910.
- “Emerson, Ralph Waldo” in Encyclopædia Britannica, (11th ed.), 1911
- “Emerson, Ralph Waldo” by Franklin Benjamin Sanborn in The Encyclopedia Americana. New York, 1920.
- "Emerson" in Studies of a Biographer vol. 4 (1902) by Leslie Stephen