Author:Samuel Butler (1774-1839)
Jump to navigation Jump to search
For authors with similar names, see Samuel Butler.
|←Author Index: Bu||Samuel Butler
|English classical scholar and schoolmaster, and bishop of Lichfield.|
- Æschylus (1809–1826), in 4 vols.
- A letter to the Rev. C.J. Blomfield containing remarks on the Edinburgh Review of the Cambridge Æschylus, and incidental observations on that of the Oxford Strabo (1810)
- A Sketch of Modern and Ancient Geography (1813)
- An Atlas of Modern Geography
- The genuine and apocryphal Gospels compared, a charge (1822)
- A Praxis on the Latin Prepositions with Exercises (1823)
- An Atlas of Antient Geography (1832)
- Geographica Practica, or, the application of Antient Geography to the Classics (1833)
- M. Musuri Carmen in Platonem, Is. Casauboni in Josephum Scaligerum Ode. Accedunt Poemata et Exercitationes utriusque linguæ (1797)
Works about Butler
- "Butler, Samuel (bishop)," in Encyclopædia Britannica (11th ed., 1911)
- "Butler, Samuel (1774-1839)," in Dictionary of National Biography, London: Smith, Elder, & Co., (1885–1900) in 63 vols.
- "Butler, Samuel (2)," in Alumni Oxonienses: the Members of the University of Oxford, 1715-1886 (vol. 1, p. 203), by Joseph Foster, London: Parker and Co. (1888–1892) in 4 vols.