|←Author Index: Go||William Godwin
|Mary Wollstonecraft and their daughter was Mary Shelley. His second wife was Mary Jane Clairmont.An English political writer and novelist, considered one of the first exponents of utilitarianism, and one of the first modern proponents of anarchist philosophy. His first wife was|
- The History of the Life of William Pitt, Earl of Chatham, 1783 external scan
- An Enquiry Concerning Political Justice 1793 vol 1, vol 2
- The Adventures of Caleb Williams, 1794 vol 1, vol 2, vol 3
- The enquirer. 1797 external scan
- Memoirs of the author of A vindication of the rights of woman, 1798 external scan
- Posthumous works of the author of A vindication of the rights of woman: Mary Wollstonecraft, 1798 vol 3
- St. Leon: A Tale of the Sixteenth Century, 1801 vol 1, vol 2
- Life of Geoffrey Chaucer, 1804 vol 1, vol 2, vol 3, vol 4
- Fleetwood, 1805 vol 2, vol 1 2nd ed
- The Pantheon: Or, Ancient History of the Gods of Greece and Rome. 1814 external scan
- Mandeville, 1817 vol 1, vol 2, vol 3
- Life of Lady Jane Grey, and of Lord Guildford Dudley, Her Husband, 1824 (short work) external scan
- History of the commonwealth of England. 1824 vol 1, vol 3 , vol 4
- Cloudesley, 1830 vol 2, vol 2, vol 3
- Thoughts on Man, 1831 external scan
- Deloraine, 1833 vol 1, vol 2, vol 3
- Lives of the Necromancers, 1834 external scan
- Transfusion, 1835 vol 1, vol 2, vol 3
- Essays; never before published, 1873 external scan
- The New Annual Register
- Tabart's collection of popular stories for the nursery (editor), 1804 vol 1
- A first gallery of literary portraits by George Gilfillan, 1813-1878 (1851) external scan
Works about Godwin
- Public Characters 1799 external scan
- * The spirit of the age, 1825 external scan
- William Godwin: his friends and contemporaries, 1876 vol 1, vol 2
- “Godwin, William,” in A Short Biographical Dictionary of English Literature by John William Cousin, London: J. M. Dent & Sons, 1910.
- “Godwin, William (1756-1836),” in Dictionary of National Biography, London: Smith, Elder, & Co., (1885–1900) in 63 vols.
- William Godwin, by William Hazlitt. Essay in The Spirit of the Age.
- “Godwin, William,” The New International Encyclopædia. New York: Dodd, Mead and Co., 1906.
About Godwin's works