Cambridge Rules (1856)
University Foot Ball Club.
1. This Club shall be called the University Foot Ball Club.
2. At the commencement of the play, the ball shall be kicked off from the middle of the ground: after every goal there shall be a kick-off in the same way.
3. After a goal, the losing side shall kick off; the sides changing goals, unless a previous arrangement be made to the contrary.
4. The ball is out when it has passed the line of the flag-posts on either side of the ground, in which case it shall be thrown in straight.
5. The ball is behind when it has passed the goal on either side of it.
6. When the ball is behind it shall be brought forward at the place where it left the ground, not more than ten paces, and kicked off.
7. Goal is when the ball is kicked through the flag-posts and under the string.
8. When a player catches the ball directly from the foot, he may kick it as he can without running with it. In no other case may the ball be touched with the hands, except to stop it.
9. If the ball has passed a player, and has come from the direction of his own goal, he may not touch it till the other side have kicked it, unless there are more than three of the other side before him. No player is allowed to loiter between the ball and the adversaries' goal.
10. In no case is holding a player, pushing with the hands, or tripping up allowed. Any player may prevent another from getting to the ball by any means consistent with the above rule.
11. Every match shall be decided by a majority of goals.
J. C. HARKNESS,
F. G. SYKES,
|W. H. STONE,
W. J. HOPE-EDWARDES,
|E. L. HORNE,
H. M. LUCKOCK,
- Curry, Graham; Dunning, Eric (2015). Assocation Football: A Study in Figurational Sociology. London: Routledge. pp. 63–69. ISBN 978-1-138-82851-3.
- The year is missing from the original source. The copy in Sykes (1897) has the year 1857 here, but Sykes's own account confirms 1856 as the correct year. (Wikisource contributor note)
- "[Correspondence from Frederic G. Skyes]". The Eagle: a Magazine supported by Members of St. John's College (Cambridge: E Johnson) xix (cxiii): 586–588. June 1897.