Catholic Encyclopedia (1913)/Caloe
A titular see of Asia Minor, mentioned as Kaloe, and Keloue in inscriptions of the third century, Kalose in Hierocles' "Synecdemos" (660); as Kalloe, Kaloe, and even Kolone in Parthey's "Notitiæ episcopatuum", where it figures from the sixth to the twelfth or thirteenth century. Caloe must be identified with the modern village of Kilis, Keles, Kelas, a nahié in the vilayet of Smyrna, to the southwest of Ala-Shehir (ancient Philadelphia), in the upper valley of the Kutchuk-Mendérès (Caÿstrus). There was in Lydia a Lake Koloe, near which the tombs of Lydian kings and the temple of Artemis Koloene stood. According to Lequien, the titular see took its name from this locality; but Loquien's view is inconsistent with the position assigned to Caloe by the "Notitiæ episcopatuum" as a suffragan see of Ephesus.