Catholic Encyclopedia (1913)/Diocese of Pinar del Rio
(Pinetensis ad Flumen)
Located in Cuba, erected by the Brief "Actum præclare" of Leo XIII, 20 Feb., 1903. The boundaries of the diocese are those of the civil province; it occupies the western part of the island and has an area of 2867 square miles. Its first bishop was Braulio de Orne y Vivanco, consecrated at Havana, 28 October, 1903, died the following year. The present bishop is Manuel Ruiz y Rodriguez, consecrated at Cienfuegos, 11 June, 1907. The diocese contains 27 parishes with 19 secular priests. There is a boys' school conducted by the Piarist Fathers, and a girls' school under the care of religious women.
FERMIN FRAGA BARRO.