Catholic Encyclopedia (1913)/Diocese of Salta
Comprises the civil Provinces of Salta and Jujuy in the northern part of the Republic of Argentina. It was created on 17 February, 1807, the territory being taken from the ancient Diocese of Córdoba del Tucumán. Until 1898 it comprised also the civil Provinces of Tucumán, Santiago del Estero, and Catamarca, which have recently been detached to form new dioceses. The first Bishop of Salta was Nicolás Videla del Pino, who was succeeded by Fray Buenaventura Rizo Patrón, Monsignor Pablo Padilla y Bárcena, and the present bishop, Mgr. Matias Linares y Sanzetenea. The diocese possesses a handsome cathedral and seminary, and conducts a private printing plant which issues a Catholic daily paper, "Tribuna popular". Religious orders of men are represented by the Redemptorists, who devote themselves to giving missions, the Fathers of the Divine Word, the Canons Regular of the Lateran, the Salesians, who are in charge of the schools, and one convent of Franciscans subject to the Congregation of Propaganda. The Sisters of the Good Shepherd, of the Garden of Olives, of the Sacred Heart of Jesus, and Franciscan Tertiaries devote their time to teaching, hospital work, and visiting the sick in their own homes.