Catholic Encyclopedia (1913)/Niagara University
Niagara University, situated near Niagra Falls, New York, is conducted by the Vincentians. It was founded by Rev. John F. Lynch, C.M., later first Archbishop of Toronto, and was chartered by the Legislature, 20 April, 1863, as the Seminary of Our Lady of Angels. The original building was completely destroyed by fire in December, 1864; in April, 1865, one wing of the present building was built, and in 1869, the structure was completed. On 7 August, 1883, the Regents of New York State erected the Seminary of Our Lady of Angels into a college by the name of Niagara University. A medical school was established at Buffalo, and during its existence (1883-1898), it did much to further the study of medicine, and inauguarated the movement which has resulted in requiring four years' study for the doctor's degree in New York State. In 1898 the Niagara medical school was merged into that of the Buffalo University, as was also, in 1891, the Niagara law school. Niagara University has now complete seminary, college, and high school departments, embracing courses in philosophy, higher mathematics, science languages, commerce, and music. The university possesses over 300 acres of ground, a museum, laboratories for scientific work, and a library, containing about 35,000 volumes, begun by Bishop Timon, C.M.
GRACE, Niagara Index (1870-19912); Golden Jubilee Volume.
EDWARD J. WALSH