Catholic Encyclopedia (1913)/Rohault de Fleury
A family of French architects and archaeologists of the nineteenth century, of which the most distinguished member was Charles Rohault de Fleury, b. in Paris 23 July, 1801; d. there 11 August, 1875. After a scientific course pursued at the Ecole Polytechnique at Paris, he studied sculpture, but abandoned this study for architecture in 1825. He designed several public and private buildings which adorn one of the most artistic sections of the present Paris and was the author of the first edition of the "Manuel des lois du batiment" published by the Central Society of Architects (Paris, 1862). The last years of his life he devoted to religious archaeology and published the important results of his studies in the following magnificently illustrated works: "Les instruments de la Passion", Paris, 1870 (see CROSS, IV, 531); "L'évangile, études iconographiques et archéologiques", Tours, 1874; "La Sainte Vièrge", Paris, 1878; "Un Tabernacle chrétien du Ve siècle", Arras, 1880; "La Messe, études archéologiques sur ses monuments", Paris, 1883-98. Some of these works were published after his death by his son George (1835-1905) who was himself a prominent archaeological writer. The latter's works treat of Italian art-monuments: "Monuments de Pise au moyen âge", Paris, 1866; "La Toscane au moyen âge, lettres sur l'architecture civile et militaire en 1400", Paris 1874; "Le Latran au moyen âge", Paris 1877.
Oeuvres de Charles Rohault de Fleury, architecte (Paris, 1884).