Catholic Encyclopedia (1913)/Vicariate Apostolic of Zamora
Vicariate Apostolic in South Ecuador, created 3 February, 1893, by Leo XIII. The second Provincial Council of Quito (1869) established for the savages of that territory a mission with four chief residences, Napo, Macas, Gualaquiza, and Zamora, entrusted to the Society of Jesus, whose activity was much hampered by rebelious tribes. In 1889 Zamora came under the jurisdiction of the Franciscans, and at the end of 1892 Father Luis Torra took up his residence among these savages, in number from 700 to 1000, and with difficulty evangelized them, as they were cruel and loath to live in villages. The vicariate takes its name from a former Spanish settlement destroyed in 1559. The country is beautiful, and its fertile plains are watered by fine rivers. Recent revolts of the savages have compelled the missionaries to withdraw to the Franciscan convent of Loja.
Missiones Catholicae (Rome, 1907).