Collier's New Encyclopedia (1921)/Astoria
ASTORIA, a city of Oregon, the county-seat of Clatsop co., on the Columbia river, about 100 miles N. W. of Portland, and on the Spokane, Portland, and Seattle railroad. It is connected with foreign and domestic ports by several steamship lines. The city has an excellent water front, about five miles in length. It is the center of an important salmon canning industry, and has iron works, lumber mills, can factories, and other industrial establishments. A large export trade in lumber and flour is carried on. There is a custom house, postoffice, parks, library, hospitals, and other handsome public buildings. Lewis and Clarke established a fort here, and it was later the site of the fur trading station built in 1811 by John Jacob Astor. It was the first settlement in the valley of the Columbia river. Pop. (1910) 9,599; (1920) 14,027.