Collier's New Encyclopedia (1921)/General Theological Seminary
GENERAL THEOLOGICAL SEMINARY, the most important Protestant Episcopal seminary in the United States. It was established in 1817 in New York City by order of the General Convention, and began its work in 1819. From 1820 to 1822 the seminary was located in New Haven, but in the latter year was re-established in New York. For many years it suffered from the lack of the necessary financial backing. This condition, however, was remedied during the administration of Eugene A. Hoffman, which began in 1878 and lasted until his death in 1902. Through his own large gifts, as well as a result of his ability to interest other wealthy men, the seminary was established on an independent basis. The regular course covers three years. A graduate course is also offered. The degrees of D. D. and B. D. are conferred. The seminary is controlled by a Board of Trustees. No tuition fees are charged and there are many prizes and scholarships available. In 1921 the number of students was 71, and the number of teachers, 15. The governing official was H. E. Fosbroke, D. D.