Collier's New Encyclopedia (1921)/Helena (Arkansas)

From Wikisource
Jump to navigation Jump to search

HELENA, a city and county-seat of Phillips co., Ark.; on the Mississippi river, and on the Missouri and North Arkansas, the Iron Mountain and Southern, and the Yazoo and Mississippi railroads, 90 miles S. W. of Memphis, Tenn. It has steamship communications with all important river ports, and is a shipping point for lumber, cotton, and cotton-seed oil. Its manufactures include cotton oil, boxes, cotton goods, machinery, canned goods, and finished lumber. It has electric lights, public schools, public library, the Jefferson High School, Sacred Heart Academy, daily and weekly newspapers, and a National bank. Pop. (1910) 8,722; (1920) 9,112.