Collier's New Encyclopedia (1921)/Iowa City
IOWA CITY, a city and county-seat of Johnson co., Ia.; on the Iowa river, and Cedar Rapids and Iowa City, and the Chicago, Rock Island, and Pacific railroads; 54 miles W. of Davenport. It is the seat of the State University of Iowa, the Iowa City Academy, the State Historical Society and Library; has excellent hospitals, a Masonic Temple, and other public buildings; is the farming trade center for Johnson, Cedar, and Iowa counties; has excellent power provided by the Iowa river; and has manufactories of flour, perfumery, jewelry, etc. Besides its manufacturing interests the city has an extensive meat-packing industry. Pop. (1910) 10,091; (1920) 11,267.