Collier's New Encyclopedia (1921)/Jackson (Tenn.)
JACKSON, a city and county-seat of Madison co., Tenn.; on the Forked Deer river, and the Illinois Central, and several other railroads; 150 miles S. W. of Nashville. It is the farming trade center for a region having a population of 175,000 and is an important cotton market; and has manufactories of engines and boilers, bicycles, cottonseed oil, lumber, machinery, and woolen mills. Jackson is the seat of the Southwestern Baptist University, the Memphis Conference Female Institute, and Lane College. There are National banks, daily, weekly, and monthly periodicals, a waterworks plant, owned by the city and valued at $400,000. Pop. (1910) 15,779; (1920) 18,860.