Collier's New Encyclopedia (1921)/New York, College of the City of
NEW YORK, COLLEGE OF THE CITY OF, a college maintained by the city of New York in exactly the same manner as the various State colleges are supported by the States. The State Legislature granted to the Board of Education of New York City power to establish the college in 1847, although it was called at that time the Free Academy, and was not granted the power to confer collegiate degrees until 1854. The institution is situated on 137th Street on Washington Heights. The present buildings were erected in 1907, and together constitute one of the finest groups of public buildings to be found in the city. In 1911 Mr. Adolph Lewisohn gave the college a large stadium, which is used for athletic purposes and also for large public celebrations. Outside of this benefaction the college buildings were entirely paid for by the taxpayers of New York City.
The institution has no professional schools and no graduate department, but simply the arts and science course. In this it is in marked contrast to the State University. Two degrees are granted, each in accordance with the type of course chosen by the student, either Bachelor of Arts or Bachelor of Science. The college also maintains a preparatory school, and night schools for teachers and others who cannot attend regular college classes. In 1919 students numbered 10,763, and faculty 270. In December, 1914, Dr. Sidney E. Mezes, President of the University of Texas, was made President of the college.
|COLLEGE OF THE CITY OF NEW YORK, LOOKING THROUGH THE GATE FROM AMSTERDAM AVENUE|