Collier's New Encyclopedia (1921)/Tulsa City
TULSA CITY, the county-seat of
Tulsa co., Okla., about 95 miles northeast
of Oklahoma City, on the Atchison,
Topeka and Sant
e Fe, the Midland Valley,
the Missouri, Kansas and Texas,
the St. Louis and San Francisco, and
the Tulsa and Sand Springs railroads.
There are a high school, a Carnegie library,
and handsome parks and boulevards.
It is the seat of the Henry Kendall
College. Natural gas, coal, and
crude oil are found in vast abundance in
the vicinity, and the city has become the
center of a very prosperous oil producing
region. There are also manufactures
of brick and tile, sewer pipes, cotton-seed
oil, glass, engines, pumps, and
other machinery and tools, etc. Oil refining,
coal mining, and wheat milling
are also carried on extensively. Pop.
(1910) 18,182; (1920) 72,075.