Collier's New Encyclopedia (1921)/Schleswig (duchy)
SCHLESWIG, or SLESWICK, formerly a duchy of Denmark; bounded N. by Jutland, from which it is nearly separated by the Konge Aa river and the Kolding fiord. Prussia took possession of it in 1867 with Holstein, and the two duchies formed the province of Schleswig-Holstein. By a plebiscite, provided for by the Treaty of Versailles, north Schleswig in 1920 decided to join with Denmark, while south Schleswig adhered to Prussia. Area, 7,299 square miles. Pop. N. Schleswig (1921) 184,133.