Declaration by United Nations
A Joint Declaration by the United States, the United Kingdom, the Union of Soviet Socialist Republics, China, Australia, Belgium, Canada, Costa Rica, Cuba, Czechoslovakia, Dominican Republic, El Salvador, Greece, Guatemala, Haiti, Honduras, India, Luxembourg, Netherlands, New Zealand, Nicaragua, Norway, Panama, Poland, South Africa, Yugoslavia
The Governments signatory hereto,
Having subscribed to a common program of purposes and principles embodied in the Joint Declaration of the President of the United States of America and the Prime Minister of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland dated August 14, 1941, known as the Atlantic Charter.
Being convinced that complete victory over their enemies is essential to defend life, liberty, independence and religious freedom, and to preserve human rights and justice in their own lands as well as in other lands, and that they are now engaged in a common struggle against savage and brutal forces seeking to subjugate the world,
(1) Each Government pledges itself to employ its full resources, military or economic, against those members of the Tripartite Pact :and its adherents with which such government is at war.
(2) Each Government pledges itself to cooperate with the Governments signatory hereto and not to make a separate armistice or peace with the enemies.
The foregoing declaration may be adhered to by other nations which are, or which may be, rendering material assistance and contributions in the struggle for victory over Hitlerism.
Done at Washington
January First, 1942
The adherents to the Declaration by the united nations, together with the date of communication of adherence, are as follows:
- Mexico — June 5, 1942
- Philippines — June 10, 1942
- Ethiopia — July 28, 1942
- Iraq — Jan. 16, 1943
- Brazil — Feb. 8, 1943
- Bolivia — Apr. 27, 1943
- Iran — Sept. 10, 1943
- Colombia — Dec. 22, 1943
- Liberia — Feb. 26, 1944
- France — Dec. 26, 1944
- Ecuador — Feb. 7, 1945
- Peru — Feb. 11, 1945
- Chile — Feb. 12, 1945
- Paraguay — Feb. 12, 1945
- Venezuela — Feb. 16, 1945
- Uruguay — Feb. 23, 1945
- Turkey — Feb. 24, 1945
- Egypt — Feb. 27, 1945
- Saudi — Arabia Mar. 1, 1945
- Lebanon — Mar. 1, 1945
- Syria — Mar. 1, 1945
This work is excerpted from an official document of the United Nations. The policy of this organisation is to keep most of its documents in the public domain in order to disseminate "as widely as possible the ideas (contained) in the United Nations Publications".
- Official records (proceedings of conferences, verbatim and summary records, …)
- United Nations documents issued with a UN symbol
- Public information material designed primarily to inform the public about United Nations activities (not including public information material that is offered for sale).
Public domainPublic domainfalse