Dictionary of National Biography, 1885-1900/Carr, John (1723-1807)
CARR, JOHN (1723–1807), architect, called Carr of York, was born at Horbury, near Wakefield, in May 1723. He began life as a working man and settled in York, where he attained a considerable reputation as an architect of the ‘Anglo-Palladian’ school, and amassed a large fortune. Among the buildings he erected are the court-house and the castle and gaol at York; the crescent at Buxton; the town hall at Newark, Nottinghamshire; Harewood House, near Leeds; Thoresby Lodge, Nottinghamshire; Oakland House, Cheshire; Lytham Hall, near Preston; Constable Burton, Baseldon Park, and Farnley Hall in Yorkshire; the east front and west gallery of Wentworth Castle, near Barnsley; the mausoleum of the Marquis of Rockingham at Wentworth; and the bridge over the Ure at Boroughbridge. He also built at his own expense the parish church of his native village, where he was buried. He was mayor of York in 1770 and 1785, and died at Askham Hall, near York, 22 Feb. 1807, aged 84, leaving property to the amount of about 150,000l.
[Redgrave's Dict. of Artists, 1878; Gent. Mag. 1807; Fergusson's History of Modern Architecture.]