Dictionary of National Biography, 1885-1900/Drelincourt, Peter

From Wikisource
Jump to navigation Jump to search

DRELINCOURT, PETER (1644–1722), dean of Armagh, born in Paris 22 July 1644, was the sixth son of Charles Drelincourt (1595–1629), minister of the reformed church in Paris, and author of ‘Les Consolations de l'Ame contre les Frayeurs de la Mort’ (Geneva, 1669), translated by Marius D'Assigny [q. v.] as the ‘Christian's Defence against the Fear of Death,’ 1675. To the fourth edition of the translation (1706) Defoe added his ‘Apparition of Mrs. Veal.’ Peter graduated M.A. in Trinity College, Dublin, 1681, and LL.D. 1691. Having been appointed chaplain to the Duke of Ormonde, lord-lieutenant of Ireland, he became in 1681 precentor of Christ Church Cathedral, Dublin; in 1683 archdeacon of Leighlin; and 28 Feb. 1690–1 dean of Armagh, retaining his archdeaconry, and holding at the same time the rectory of Armagh. He died there 7 March 1721–2, and was buried in the cathedral, where a fine monument by Rysbrach was erected by his widow to his memory. On a mural tablet, in Latin, is a minute account of his origin and promotions, and on the front of the sarcophagus an inscription in English verse. It alludes to the erection in Armagh of the ‘Drelincourt Charity School’ by the dean's widow, who endowed it with 90l. per annum. To their daughter, Viscountess Primrose, the citizens of Armagh are chiefly indebted for a plentiful supply of water. Drelincourt's only publication is ‘A Speech made to … the Duke of Ormonde, Lord-Lieutenant of Ireland, and to the … Privy Council. To return the humble thanks of the French Protestants lately arriv'd in this kingdom; and graciously reliev'd by them,’ 4to, Dublin, 1682.

[Todd's Catalogue of Dublin Graduates; Cotton's Fasti Ecclesiæ Hibernicæ, ii. 53, 398, iii. 33, v. 91; Stuart's Historical Memoirs of Armagh, pp. 518, 539.]

B. H. B.