Dictionary of National Biography, 1885-1900/Gregg, John
GREGG, JOHN, D.D. (1798–1878), bishop of Cork, Cloyne, and Ross, was born 4 Aug. 1798 at Cappa, near Ennis, where his father, Richard Gregg, lived on a small property. After attending a classical school in Ennis, he entered Trinity College, Dublin, in 1819, where he took a sizarship, a scholarship, and many prizes. He obtained his degree in 1824. A sermon which he heard from the Rev. B. W. Matthias in Bethesda Chapel determined him to enter the church, and in 1826 he was ordained in Ferns Cathedral, and became curate of the French Church, Portarlington, where he laboured with much earnestness. In 1828 he obtained the living of Kilsallaghan, in the diocese of Dublin, and threw himself with great energy into the work of the parish. His reputation as an eloquent evangelical clergyman procured for him in 1836 the incumbency of the Bethesda Chapel, Dublin. Trinity Church was built for him in 1839, and became in his hands a chief centre of evangelical life in Dublin. After refusing various offers of preferment he accepted the archdeaconry of Kildare in 1857, still remaining incumbent of Trinity. In 1862 he was appointed by the lord-lieutenant (the Earl of Carlisle) bishop of the united dioceses of Cork, Cloyne, and Ross. During his episcopate the new cathedral of St. Fin Barre was built at a cost of nearly 100,000l. He died 26 May 1878, and was buried in Mount Jerome cemetery, Dublin. He was one of the ablest and most earnest evangelical leaders of the Irish episcopal church. He married in 1830 Elizabeth, daughter of Robert Law of Dublin, by whom he had six children; his son Robert was elected bishop of Ossory in 1875, and succeeded him in the bishopric of Cork. He published 'A Missionary Visit to Achill and Erris,' 3rd edit. Dublin, 1850, besides many sermons, lectures, and tracts.
[Memorials of the Life of John Gregg, D.D., by his son.]