Dictionary of National Biography, 1885-1900/Howard, Edward George Fitzalan
HOWARD, EDWARD GEORGE FITZALAN, first Baron Howard of Glossop (1818–1883),was second son of Henry Charles, thirteenth duke of Norfolk [q. v.], by his wife, Lady Charlotte Sophia Leveson-Gower, eldest daughter of George Granville, first duke of Sutherland. He was born on 20 Jan. 1818, and, though a catholic by birth, finished his education at Trinity College, Cambridge. On the death, on 16 March 1842, of his grand-father, Bernard Edward, twelfth duke of Norfolk [q. v.], his father succeeded to the titles and estates, and Howard became known as Lord Edward Howard. He was a liberal in politics. In July 1846, when the first Russell administration came into power, he was appointed vice-chamberlain to the queen and a privy councillor, and retained his office until March 1852. After unsuccessfully contesting Shoreham at the general election of 1847, Howard was returned in 1848 to the House of Commons as M.P. for Horsham. From 1853 to 1868 he was M.P. for Arundel, but was rejected by that constituency in the general election of 1868. On 9 Dec. 1869 he was created a peer of the United Kingdom as Baron Howard of Glossop. Howard rendered signal service to the cause of Roman catholic primary education. From 1869 to 1877 he was chairman of the Catholic Poor Schools Committee, in succession to the Hon. Charles Langdale. As chairman of the committee he set on foot the Catholic Education Crisis Fund, not only subscribing 5,000l. to it himself, but securing 10,000l. from his nephew the fifteenth and present Duke of Norfolk, and another 10,000l. from his son-in-law the Marquis of Bute. Seventy thousand scholars were thus added to the Roman catholic schools in England at a cost of at least 350,000l. During the eight years' minority of his nephew, the fifteenth duke of Norfolk (1860-8), he presided over the College of Arms as deputy earl marshal. In 1871 Howard bought from James Robert Hope-Scott [q. v.], for nearly 40,000l., his highland estate at Dorlin, near Loch Shiel, Salen, N.B. Howard died, after a long illness, on 1 Dec. 1883, at his town house, 19 Rutland Gate, Knightsbridge.
Howard married, first, on 22 July 1851, Augusta Talbot, only daughter (and heiress to a fortune of 80,000l.) of George Henry Talbot, half-brother of John, sixteenth earl of Shrewsbury; and secondly, on 16 July 1863, Winifred Mary, third daughter of Ambrose Lisle March Phillipps de Lisle, esq., of Garendon Park and Gracedieu Manor in Leicestershire. By his first wife, who died 3 July 1862, he had two sons, Charles Bernard Talbot, who died in 1861, aged 9, and Francis Edward, who succeeded as second baron; and five daughters.
[Memorial Notice in the Tablet, 8 Dec. 1883, p. 882; Times, December 1883; Men of the Time, 11th ed. p. 595.]