Dictionary of National Biography, 1885-1900/Jupp, Richard

From Wikisource
Jump to navigation Jump to search
1401387Dictionary of National Biography, 1885-1900, Volume 30 — Jupp, Richard1892Lionel Henry Cust

JUPP, RICHARD (d. 1799), architect, was chief architect and surveyor to the East India Company, and designed a new house for this company in Leadenhall Street. The design for the façade was exhibited at the Royal Academy in 1798, and was afterwards engraved. It was carried out after Jupp's death by his successor, H. Holland, and contained an Ionic portico with a pediment subsequently filled with sculpture by John Bacon, R. A. [q. v.] In 1784 Jupp designed Severndroog Castle, Eltham, Kent, for Lady James. He was one of the eleven original members of the Architects' Club, founded in 1791. Jupp died at his house in King's Road (now Theobald's Road), Bedford Row, on 17 April 1799.

His brother, William Jupp the elder (d. 1788), architect, exhibited two designs for gentlemen's seats at the Society of Artists in 1763 and 1764. He rebuilt the London Tavern, Bishopsgate Street Within, after the fire in 1765. In 1780 he designed the new entrance hall and staircase of Carpenters' Hall, London Wall, for which the stucco decorations were executed by Bacon. He resided in Great Ormond Street, and died in 1788. His son, William Jupp the younger (d. 1839), architect, was architect and surveyor to the Skinners', Merchant Taylors', Ironmongers', and Apothecaries' companies, and also to the parishes of Limehouse, Blackwall, and others in the East-end of London. In 1808 he designed the façade of Skinners' Hall on Dowgate Hill. He occasionally exhibited designs at the Royal Academy, and died at Upper Clapton 30 April 1839.

Another son of William Jupp the elder, Richard Webb Jupp (1767–1852), solicitor, was elected clerk to the Carpenters' Company in 1798, and died 26 Aug. 1852, the senior member of the corporation of London. His son, Edward Basil Jupp (1812–1877), born 1 Jan. 1812, was clerk to the Carpenters' Company, and fellow of the Society of Antiquaries. He was a partner in his father's firm, and was elected joint-clerk to the company with his father in 1843, succeeding to the post on his father's death. He devoted much time and attention to the history of art in England, and made a collection of the catalogues of the Royal Academy, the Society of Artists of Great Britain, and the Free Society of Artists, which he copiously illustrated with drawings, autographs, and portraits. Jupp published descriptive lists of these collections in 1866 and 1871. He also made a remarkable collection of the works of Thomas Bewick [q. v.], which was dispersed by auction at Christie's in February 1878. In 1848 he published an ‘Historical Account of the Worshipful Company of Carpenters of the City of London;’ a second edition, with a supplement, was published in 1887. Jupp also published in the ‘Surrey Archæological Collections’ (iii. 277) an account of ‘Richard Wyatt and his Almshouses’ at Shackleford. He died at Blackheath 30 May 1877, aged 65.

[Dict. of Architecture; Redgrave's Dict. of Artists; Jupp's History of the Carpenters' Company; Gent. Mag. 1799 lxix. 357, 1852 new ser. xxxviii. 436; information from Mr. E. B. Jupp.]

L. C.