Directive no. 02622
DIRECTIVE OF PEOPLE’S COMMISSAR FOR DEFENCE OF THE USSR
09 June 1940
To the Commander of the Red Banner Baltic Fleet Vice-Admiral V. Tributs
Cc.: To People’s Commissar of the Navy Admiral N. Kuznetsov; To Commander of the Leningrad Military District Commander of the Army K. Meretskov
I SHALL HEREBY ORDER:
1. As from 05.00 a.m. on 10 June this year, the Red Banner Baltic Fleet shall transfer to the operative subordination of the Commander of Leningrad Military District, and by 12 June it shall be ready to carry out combat missions, as directed by the latter.
- a. To provide for constant readiness of the Navy bases and vessels of the Navy situated in the ports of Tallinn, Paldiski, and Liepaja.
- b. Upon order by Commander of the Leningrad Military District, to seize the vessels of Estonian and Latvian navies located in the bases.
- c. To seize the merchant marine ships and the floats.
- d. To prepare for and to organise landing of troops in Paldiski and Tallinn, to seize the harbours of Tallinn and the batteries.
- e. To seal the Bay of Riga.
- f. To organise constant and reliable patrolling service in the Gulf of Finland on the side of Finland, and in the Baltic Sea on the side of Sweden, as well as from the south.
- g. In close co-operation with ground forces, to contribute to the offensive of the units of Leningrad Military District, spearheaded at Rakvere.
- h. By activity of Fighter Command, not to allow Estonian and Latvian aircraft to fly over to Finland and Sweden.
2. The exact time of the beginning of military action will be specified by Commander of the Leningrad Military District.
3. Subject to this Directive, to develop the plan of combat actions of the Red Banner Baltic Fleet and to present it for approval by 11 June this year.
People’ s Commissar for Defence of the USSR Marshal of the Soviet Union S. Timoshenko
Chief of General Staff of the Red Army Marshal of the Soviet Union B. Shaposhnikov