Duncan Hunter National Defense Authorization Act for Fiscal Year 2009/Division A/Title XIII
Jump to navigation Jump to search
== TITLE XIII — COOPERATIVE THREAT REDUCTION ==
SEC. 1301. SPECIFICATION OF COOPERATIVE THREAT REDUCTION PROGRAMS AND FUNDS.
- (a) Specification of Cooperative Threat Reduction Programs- For purposes of section 301 and other provisions of this Act, Cooperative Threat Reduction programs are the programs specified in section 1501 of the National Defense Authorization Act for Fiscal Year 1997 (50 U.S.C. 2362 note).
- (b) Fiscal Year 2009 Cooperative Threat Reduction Funds Defined- As used in this title, the term `fiscal year 2009 Cooperative Threat Reduction funds' means the funds appropriated pursuant to the authorization of appropriations in section 301 for Cooperative Threat Reduction programs.
- (c) Availability of Funds- Funds appropriated pursuant to the authorization of appropriations in section 301 for Cooperative Threat Reduction programs shall be available for obligation for fiscal years 2009, 2010, and 2011.
SEC. 1302. FUNDING ALLOCATIONS.
- (a) Funding for Specific Purposes- Of the $434,135,000 authorized to be appropriated to the Department of Defense for fiscal year 2009 in section 301(19) for Cooperative Threat Reduction programs, the following amounts may be obligated for the purposes specified:
- (1) For strategic offensive arms elimination in Russia, $79,985,000.
- (2) For strategic nuclear arms elimination in Ukraine, $6,400,000.
- (3) For nuclear weapons storage security in Russia, $24,101,000.
- (4) For nuclear weapons transportation security in Russia, $40,800,000.
- (5) For weapons of mass destruction proliferation prevention in the states of the former Soviet Union, $59,286,000.
- (6) For biological threat reduction in the former Soviet Union, $184,463,000.
- (7) For chemical weapons destruction, $1,000,000.
- (8) For defense and military contacts, $8,000,000.
- (9) For new Cooperative Threat Reduction initiatives, $10,000,000.
- (10) For activities designated as Other Assessments/Administrative Costs, $20,100,000.
- (b) Report on Obligation or Expenditure of Funds for Other Purposes- No fiscal year 2009 Cooperative Threat Reduction funds may be obligated or expended for a purpose other than a purpose listed in paragraphs (1) through (10) of subsection (a) until 15 days after the date that the Secretary of Defense submits to Congress a report on the purpose for which the funds will be obligated or expended and the amount of funds to be obligated or expended. Nothing in the preceding sentence shall be construed as authorizing the obligation or expenditure of fiscal year 2009 Cooperative Threat Reduction funds for a purpose for which the obligation or expenditure of such funds is specifically prohibited under this title or any other provision of law.
- (c) Limited Authority to Vary Individual Amounts-
- (1) IN GENERAL- Subject to paragraph (2), in any case in which the Secretary of Defense determines that it is necessary to do so in the national interest, the Secretary may obligate amounts appropriated for fiscal year 2009 for a purpose listed in paragraphs (1) through (10) of subsection (a) in excess of the specific amount authorized for that purpose.
- (2) NOTICE-AND-WAIT REQUIRED- An obligation of funds for a purpose stated in paragraphs (1) through (10) of subsection (a) in excess of the specific amount authorized for such purpose may be made using the authority provided in paragraph (1) only after--
- (A) the Secretary submits to Congress notification of the intent to do so together with a complete discussion of the justification for doing so; and
- (B) 15 days have elapsed following the date of the notification.