Encyclopædia Britannica, Ninth Edition/Andujar
ANDUJAR, a town of Spain, in the province of Jaen, Andalusia, situated near the Guadalquivir, 20 miles N.W. of Jaen. It is a dull, unhealthy place, possessing few buildings of any architectural beauty; but there is a road leading to an old bridge over the Guadalquivir winch is lined with fine trees. The town has an inconsiderable trade in cattle, grain, oil, and fruit. It is most widely known for its porous earthenware jars, called alcarrazas, which possess the property of keeping water cool in the hottest weather, and which are manufactured in great numbers from a whitish clay found in the neighbourhood. The Convention of Baylen was signed at Andujar in 1808; and the decree of the duke of Angouleme, by which all Spanish authorities were subordinated to the French, was published in the sametown in 1823. Population, 14,096.