Encyclopædia Britannica, Ninth Edition/Bückeburg
BÜCKEBURG, the capital of the principality of Schaumburg-Lippe, is situated at the foot of the Harrl- berg on the River Aue, about 6 miles from Minden, on the Minden and Hanover Railway. It has a castle surrounded by a park, a gymnasium, a normal seminary, a library, an orphanage, a synagogue, and three churches, one of which has the appropriate inscription, Keligionis non structiircn exemplum. The first houses of Biickeburg began to gather round the castle about 1365 ; and it was not till the 17th century that the town was surrounded with walls. Popu lation in 1871, 4686.