Encyclopædia Britannica, Ninth Edition/Coatbridge
COATBRIDGE, a town of Scotland, in the county of Lanark, and parish of Old Monkland, ten miles east of Glasgow by rail, and about two miles west of Airdrie. It owes it rise to the importance of the surrounding district as a mining field. The town itself is of a straggling descrip tion, and is intersected by a branch of the North Cahler Water, the Monkland Canal, and the Caledonian Railway. It contains eight places of worship, a literary association, and five branch banks. In the immediate neighbourhood are the Gartsherrie iron works, and there are engineering establishments in the town itself. The population of town in 1871, including Gartsherrie, High Sunnyside, and Lang- loan, numbered 15 ; 802 ; of whom 8599 were males and 7203 females.