Encyclopædia Britannica, Ninth Edition/Delitzsch
DELITZSCH, a town of Prussia, in the province of Saxony, at the head of a district in the department of Merseburg, situated on the Lober, an affluent of the Mulde, 12 miles north of Leipsic at a railway junction. Its public buildings comprise an old castle of the 14th century now used as a female penitentiary, one Roman Catholic and three Protestant churches, a normal college (Schullehrerseminar) established in 1873, and several other educational institutions. Besides Kuhschwanz, a peculiar kind of beer, it manufactures tobacco, cigars, shoes, and hosiery; and coal-mining is carried en in the neighbourhood. Originally a settlement of the Sorbian Wends, and in the 12th century part of the possessions of the bishops of Merseburg, Delitzsch ultimately passed to the Sachsen-Merseburg family, and on their extinction in 1738 was incorporated with Electoral Saxony. Ehrenberg, the famous naturalist, was born in the town in 1795. Population in 1875, 8235.