Encyclopædia Britannica, Ninth Edition/Detmold
DETMOLD, the chief town of the principality of Lippe, in North Germany, is situated on the Werre, at the foot of the Teutoburger-Wald, in 51 56 N. lat. and 8 50 E. long. The foundations of the older portion of the town were laid in 1300, and those of the newer in 1709. Among the chief buildings and institutions are the new palace, in the Renaissance style, erected about 1550, the town-house, house of correction, penitentiary, military hospital, gymnasium, the industrial, commercial, and free schools, the theatre, museum of natural science, and public library. The lead ing industries are linen-weaving, tanning, brewing, horse- dealing, and the quarrying of marble and gypsum. About three miles to the south-west of the town is the Grotenburg, with Bandel s colossal statue of Hermann or Arminius, the leader of the Cherusci. Detmold (Thiatmelli) was in 783 the scene of a conflict between the Saxons and the troops of Charlemagne. The population in 1875 was 6982.