Encyclopædia Britannica, Ninth Edition/St Ouen
ST OUEN, an industrial district in the outskirts of Paris, on the right bank of the Seine, 1 mile above St Denis. It had 17,718 inhabitants in 1881. The docks (6 acres in area), where the boats from the lower Seine discharge, are connected by rail with the Northern and Eastern lines at Paris and with the circular railway near Batignolles. The importance of St Ouen is mainly due to its industrial establishments, foundries and forges, steam-engine factories, dyeworks, waxcloth works, potteries, &c.; it has also the steam-pumps for supplying the upper quarters of Paris with water from the river, a racecourse, and a fine castle, occupying the site of the building in which Louis XVIII. signed (2d May 1814) the declaration by which he promised a charter to France.