Encyclopædia Britannica, Ninth Edition/Trouville
TROUVILLE, a fashionable seaside town of France, chef-lieu of the department of Calvados, and a port of the English Channel, is situated at the mouth of the river Touques, on the right bank, 136 miles west-north-west of Paris and 34 north-east of Caen by rail. The climate is mild, and the neighbourhood well wooded; there are villas in all styles of architecture, a casino, and vast stretches of sand where the visitors (15,000 in 1881) bathe and walk. With Havre, which lies on the other side of the estuary of the Seine, 8 or 10 miles off, there is continual steamer communication. In 1886 the population was 5750 (commune 6300). Deauville, on the left bank of the Touques, opposite Trouville, is remarkable for its casino, terrace, and fine mansions, but, except during the race-week in August, is comparatively deserted. In 1886 its population was 2100 (commune 2220). In 1866 a dock, 985 feet in length by 262 in breadth, with 24 feet of depth at high water, was constructed between Trouville and Deauville; in 1882 292 vessels (54,391 tons) entered and 283 (53,510 tons) cleared.