Epitaph of Constantine Kanaris
I am Constantine Kanaris:
- I, who lie beneath this stone,
Twice into the air in thunder
- Have the Turkish galleys blown.
In my bed I died—a Christian,
- Hoping straight with Christ to be;
Yet one earthly wish is buried
- Deep within the grave with me—
That upon the open ocean
- When the third Armada came,
They and I had died together,
- Whirled aloft in wings of flame.
Yet 't is something that they've laid me
- In a land without a stain:
Keep it thus, my God and Saviour,
- Till I rise from earth again!