Federal Judiciary Administrative Improvements Act of 2010
111TH UNITED STATES CONGRESS
To provide improvements for the operations of the Federal courts, and for other purposes.
- Be it enacted by the Senate and House of Representatives of the United States of America in Congress assembled,
Section 1. Short Title.
- This Act may be cited as the “Federal Judiciary Administrative Improvements Act of 2010”.
Sec. 2. Senior Judge Governance Correction.
- Section 631(a) of title 28, United States Code, is amended in the first sentence by striking “(including any judge in regular active service and any judge who has retired from regular active service under section 371(b) of this title, when designated and assigned to the court to which such judge was appointed)”.
Sec. 3. Revision of Statutory Description of the District of North Dakota.
- Chapter 5 of title 28, United States Code, is amended by striking section 114 and inserting the following:
“§ 114. North Dakota
- “North Dakota constitutes one judicial district.
- “ Court shall be held at Bismarck, Fargo, Grand Forks, and Minot.”.
Sec. 4. Separation of the Judgment and Statement of Reasons Forms.
- Section 3553(c)(2) of title 18, United States Code, is amended by striking “the written order of judgment and commitment” and inserting “a statement of reasons form issued under section 994(w)(1)(B) of title 28”.
Sec. 5. Pretrial Services Functions for Juveniles.
- Section 3154 of title 18, United States Code, is amended—
- (1) by redesignating paragraph (14) as paragraph (15); and
- (2) by inserting after paragraph (13) the following:
- “(14) Perform, in a manner appropriate for juveniles, any of the functions identified in this section with respect to juveniles awaiting adjudication, trial, or disposition under chapter 403 of this title who are not detained.”.
Sec. 6. Statistical Reporting Schedule for Criminal Wiretap orders.
- Section 2519 of title 18, United States Code, is amended—
- (1) in paragraph (1), by striking “Within thirty days after the expiration of an order (or each extension thereof) entered under section 2518, or the denial of an order approving an interception, the issuing or denying judge” and inserting “In January of each year, any judge who has issued an order (or an extension thereof) under section 2518 that expired during the preceding year, or who has denied approval of an interception during that year,”;
- (2) in paragraph (2), by striking “In January of each year” and inserting “In March of each year”; and
- (3) in paragraph (3), by striking “In April of each year” and inserting “In June of each year”.
Sec. 7. Thresholds for Administrative Review of Other than Counsel Case Compensation.
- Section 3006A of title 18, United States Code, is amended—
- (1) in subsection (e)—
- (A) in paragraph (2)—
- (i) in subparagraph (A), in the second sentence, by striking “$500” and inserting “$800”; and
- (ii) in subparagraph (B), by striking “$500” and inserting “$800”; and
- (B) in paragraph (3), in the first sentence, by striking “$1,600” and inserting “$2,400”; and
- (2) by adding at the end the following:
- “(5) The dollar amounts provided in paragraphs (2) and (3) shall be adjusted simultaneously by an amount, rounded to the nearest multiple of $100, equal to the percentage of the cumulative adjustments taking effect under section 5303 of title 5 in the rates of pay under the General Schedule since the date the dollar amounts provided in paragraphs (2) and (3), respectively, were last enacted or adjusted by statute.”.
Approved May 27, 2010