Great Leaders and National Issues of 1896
This has been an eventful year both at home and abroad. A Presidential year is always an interesting one, but this time it is unusually so because the issues are more clearly defined and are of more personal importance and interest to every citizen. Every individual, however humble, will be affected either for good or bad by the policy of the Government in regard to Silver and the Tariff. Then the whole world has been stirred by the cruel massacre of the Armenians and the struggle of the Cubans for liberty. Only recently this whole country and Europe were greatly excited by a threatened war with England in reference to Venezuela.
A book which covers all these subjects and which at the same time furnishes biographies of the candidates for President and Vice-President of both the Republican and Democratic parties, and also biographies of the great political leaders all over the country, cannot fail to be unusually interesting to all the citizens of this country.
In the preparation of the book we have had the assistance of several of the great leaders of the different political parties. We believe the careful reader will recognize the earnest effort made to be fair to all parties, and to furnish reliable information.
- See also the expanded table of contents.
- Famous Presidential Campaigns of the Past
- Questions for the Next Administration to Consider
- A Protective Tariff
- A Tariff for Revenue
- Gold and Silver, and the Problem of Our National Currency
- Hon. John Sherman on the Currency of the Future
- Live Questions of To-Day
- Political Giants of the Present Day
- Our Former Presidents
- The Republican Convention
- The Republican Platform
- Life and Public Services of William McKinley
- Life and Public Services of Garret Augustus Hobart
- The Prohibition Convention and Platform
- Life of Joshua Levering
- Silver Must Be Restored
- The Democratic Convention
- The Democratic Platform
- Life and Public Services of William Jennings Bryan
- Life and Public Services of Arthur Sewall
- The National Convention of the People's Party
- The Platform of the People's Party
- Thomas Edward Watson
- The Speech That Made Bryan
- Indianapolis Democratic Convention, Platform and Candidates
- List of illustrations