Joy Is a Fruit That Will Not Grow
The joy of the Lord is your strength by John Newton
- Joy is a fruit that will not grow
- In nature’s barren soil;
- All we can boast, till Christ we know,
- Is vanity and toil.
- But where the Lord has planted grace;
- And made His glories known;
- There fruits of heavenly joy and peace
- Are found, and there alone.
- A bleeding Savior seen by faith,
- A sense of pard’ning love;
- A hope that triumphs over death,
- Give joys like those above.
- To take a glimpse within the veil,
- To know that God is mine;
- Are springs of joy that never fail,
- Unspeakably divine!
- These are the joys which satisfy,
- And sanctify the mind;
- Which make the spirit mount on high,
- And leave the world behind.
- No more, believers, mourn your lot,
- But if you are the Lord’s;
- Resign to them that know Him not,
- Such joys as earth affords.