Men of the Time, eleventh edition/Amphlett, Richard Paul
AMPHLETT, Sir Richard Paul, eldest son of the late Rev. Richard Holmden Amphlett, of Wychbold Hall, Worcestershire, and rector of Hadzor, in the same county, by his first wife, Sarah, daughter of Nathaniel Paul, Esq., was born in 1809. He was educated at Brewood Grammar School, in Staffordshire, and subsequently at Peterhouse, Cambridge, where he took his B.A. degree in 1831, coming out in the mathematical tripos as sixth wrangler. He was elected a Fellow of Peterhouse, and was called to the bar at Lincoln's Inn, in Trinity term, 1834, and had an extensive practice at the equity bar. He received the honour of a silk gown in 1858; became a magistrate and Deputy Lieutenant for Worcestershire, and was for several years a Deputy Chairman of the Quarter Sessions for that county. He took a great interest in the improvement of professional education, and when Sir Roundell Palmer (now Lord Selborne) became Lord Chancellor, Mr. Amphlett was chosen his successor in the presidency of the Legal Education Association. At the general election in 1868 he was chosen M.P. for East Worcestershire, in the Conservative interest. In Jan. 1874, he was appointed the successor of Baron Martin in the Court of Exchequer, being, with the exception of the late Lord Cranworth, the only Equity barrister who, up to that period, had been promoted to a seat on the Common Law bench. He retired in 1877, in consequence of ill health. Mr. Amphlett married, in 1840, Frances, only daughter and heiress of the late Edward Ferrand, Esq., of St. Ives, Yorkshire.