Men of the Time, eleventh edition/Bogoushefsky de Bogoushevo, Nicolas Casimir
BOGOUSHEFSKY DE BOGOUSHEVO, Nicolas Casimir, Baron (Freiherr), of the Holy Roman Empire, is the descendant of an ancient and noble family of Poland, one of whose ancestors accompanied King John Sobieski in his expedition for the deliverance of Vienna from the Turks, as commander of the King's Body Guard; and during the battle near Grau defended for a long time the bridge of Arigou against an entire army, received the honour of knighthood on the battle-field, and was created by letters patent, signed by the Roman (German) Emperor Leopold, a Free Baron (Freiherr) of the Empire. His father, Casimir de Bogoushefsky, emigrated, when twelve years old, to Russia, and married there, in 1848, a Russian lady of very ancient family (of Byzantine descent), Miss Nathalie Al. de Nazimoff. Of this marriage Nicolas de Bogoushefsky was born at the estate of Doljitza, in the district of Louga, Governmentof St. Petersburg, on the 6 (18) May, 1851. He was carefully educated, first at home, then at Geneva, in a pensionnat, where he remained till the autumn of 1863; then he was brought to England, where his education continued for some time. After this he visited several universities, principally foreign, English and German, returning to Russia in 1870, when he began to form a collection of autographs and historical documents, illustrated with rare portraits, which form now the most extensive collection in Russia. He has written a great number of smaller works, contributed articles to several learned journals, English and Russian, and corresponds with almost all the principal celebrities of the time. He is a member of more than twenty different learned societies, Russian and foreign; such as the Royal Historical Society of Great Britain, the Grampian Club, the Imperial Russian Archæological Society, the Moscow Archæological Society, the Learned Esthonian Society (Dorpat), the Statistical Committee of Pskof, and the Archaeological Commission of Pskof (of which he is one of the founders). His publications include a general description of the great barrows of Kokotovo (Government Pskof) in the Anthropological Journal, 1872, "On English Poor Laws" (in Russian), 1872; "On the application of the English Poor Laws to Russia" (in Russian), 1872; "Coins of the Principality of Pskof," 1873 (in Russian); "Historical Notes on the Castle of Neuhausen in Livonia" (in Russian), 1874; "Russia in Prehistoric Times," in the Reliquary, 1874; "Historical Notes Relating to Czar John, 'The Terrible,' of Russia, and Queen Elizabeth," in the Reliquary, 1875; "Historical and Archæological Description of the Church and Parish of Melyotovo in the Government of Pskof" (in Russian), 1876; "Notes on Vibouty, the Birthplace of St. Olga of Russia" (in Russian); "Proceedings of the 3rd Archæological Congress at Kiof in 1874," vol. ii., Kiof, 1877; "Archæological Map of Pskof Government" (in Russian and German) with text, 1878; "Autographic Gems, selected from the Collections formed by N. C. Baron de Bogoushefsky," Parts I. and II., 1877; Parts III. and IV., 1878; "The English in Muscovy in the Sixteenth Century" (Transactions of the Royal Historical Society of Great Britain, vol. vii.).