Message to Cyrus Vance about CIA Agents
DE RUQMHR #8933 221 **
ZNY SSSSS ZZH
R 091037Z AUG 79
FM AMEMBASSY TEHRAN
TO SECSATE WASHDC 31??
S E C R E T TEHRAN #8933
CH?GE: STATE 8/9
L.?. ??? RDS 2 8/9/?9 (LAINGEN, L.B.) OR-M
TAGS: PINR SUBJ: SRF ASSIGNMENTS
REF: STATE 202349 AND 202350
1. S - ENTIRE TEXT
2. I concur in assignments Malcolm Kalp and William Daugherty as described Reftels.
3. With opportunity available to us in the sense that we are starting from a clean slate in SRF coverage at this mission, but with regard also for the great sensitivity locally to any hint of CIA activity, it is of the highest importance that cover be the best we can come up with. Hence there is no question as to the need for second and third secretary titles for these two officers. We must have it.
4. I believe cover arrangements in terms of assignments within embassy are appropriate to present overall staffing pattern. We should however hold to the present total of four SRF officer assignments for the foreseeable future, keeping supporting staff as sparse as possible as well, until we see how things go here.
5. We are making effort to limit knowledge within emb of all SRF assignments; that effort applies particularly to Daugherty, pursuant to new program of which he is a product and about which I have been informed.
6. I suppose I need not mind the Department that the old and apparently insoluble problem of R designation for SRF officers will inevitably complicate and to some degree weaken our cover efforts locally, no matter how much we work at it. LAINGEN