- “Mississippi River” by James Harrison Wilson in The American Cyclopædia, 1879.
- Life on the Mississippi by Mark Twain (1883)
- “Mississippi (River)” by H. L. Abbot in Encyclopædia Britannica (9th ed.), 1883.
- Cyrus C. Adams and others, “Mississippi River,” The New International Encyclopædia. New York: Dodd, Mead and Co., 1905.
- “Mississippi River” in The Nuttall Encyclopædia by James Wood, London: Frederick Warne and Co., Ltd., 1907.
- “Mississippi River”, in Encyclopædia Britannica, (11th ed.), 1911
- “Mississippi (river),” in The New Student's Reference Work, Chicago: F.E. Compton and Co. (1914)
- “Mississippi River,” by Forrest Morgan in The Encyclopedia Americana, New York: The Encyclopedia Americana Corporation (1920)
- “Mississippi River,” in Collier's New Encyclopedia, New York: P. F. Collier & Son Co. (1921)