- I wish I could remember that first day,
- First hour, first moment of your meeting me,
- If bright or dim the season, it might be
- Summer or Winter for aught I can say;
- So unrecorded did it slip away,
- So blind was I to see and to foresee,
- So dull to mark the budding of my tree
- That would not blossom for many a May.
- If only I could recollect it, such
- A day of days! I let it come and go
- As traceless as a thaw of bygone snow;
- It seemed to mean so little, meant so much;
- If only now I could recall that touch,
- First touch of hand in hand – Did one but know!