��the Aristophanesque satires of 1848, down to the works as remarkable for variety as for intense realism of Emile Augier, Dumas fils, Theodore Barriere, Octave Feuillet, George Sand, and Victorien Sardou.
This last period, so interesting from a literary and philosophical point of view, is, musically, wellnigh barren, while the early days of Vaudeville were enlivened by the flowing and charming inspirations of Chardin (or Chardiny) and Wecht, Doche (father and son), Henri Blan- chard, and others less known. Most of the vaudevilles composed by these musicians are to be found in ' La Cl du Caveau' (ist ed. 1807, 4th and most complete, 1872). The airs are in notation without accompaniment. In the library of the Paris Conservatoire is a MS. collec- tion of vaudevilles in 1 8 vols., with I vol. index, made by Henri Blanchard. These have an ac- companiment for four strings.
The Come*die-vaudeville, or vaudeville proper, has now been abandoned for the Come'die de genre, but it is not improbable that it may be revived. At any rate, the couplet is not likely to die in a land where, as Beaumarchais said, everything ends with a song. Since his day manners in France have, it is true, greatly changed, but the taste for light, amusing, satirical verses, with a catching refrain, remains, and is likely to remain. Unfortunately the vaudeville, in the old sense of the word, has taken refuge in the Cafe'-concerts, where the music is generally indifferent, and the words poor, if not objectionable. Occasionally in the Revues at the small Paris theatres a smart and witty vaudeville may still be heard. [G.C.]
VAUDEVILLE THEATRE, 404 Strand, London, was designed by Mr. C. J. Phipps, and opened April 16, 1870. Messrs. H. J. Montague, David James, and Thomas Thorn e, lessees.
It may be useful here to give a list of the Theatres opened in London since the year 1866.
ALEXANDRA Theatre, Park Street, Camden Town. J.T.Robinson, architect. Opened May 31, 1873; proprietor, Madame St. Claire. Afterwards called THE PABK ; burned down Sept. H, 1881.
ALHAMBRA THEATRE (NEW), Leicester Square. Opened Dec. 3, 1883. Perry & Reed, architects. Proprietors, the Alhambra Theatre Co., limited.
AQUARIUM Theatre, adjoining Westminster Aquarium, Tothill Street, S.W. Mr. A. Bed- borough, architect. Opened April 15, 1876; first lessee, Mr. Edgar Bruce. Is now known as THE IMPERIAL.
AVENUE, Northumberland Avenue, on site of house or gardens of Northumberland House. F. H. Fowler, architect. Opened March xi, 1882 ; proprietor, Mr. Sefton Parry.
CHARING CROSS, King William Street, Strand. Mr. Arthur Evers, architect. Opened June 19, 1869; first lessees, Messrs. Brad well and Field. From Oct. 16, 1882, known as THE FOLLY, and now as TOOLE'S. Built on the site of the Lowther Rooms, where Blake's Masquerades were once held. It afterwards became the oratory of St. Philip Neri, and there Cardinal (then Dr.)
Newman preached his famous sermons to Angli- cans in Difficulties. It next became a Working Man's Club and Institute under the presidency of Lord Shaftesbury, and in 1855 was opened by Woodin as the Polygraphic Hall, for his mono- logue entertainments, after which it became the theatre as named above.
COMEDY, Panton Street. Mr. Thos. Verity, architect. Opened Oct. 15, 1881 ; lessee, Mr. Alexander Henderson.
COURT, Sloane Square. Mr. Walter Emden, architect. Opened Jan. 25, 1871 ; first lessee, Miss Marie Litton. The site was formerly occu- pied by a Methodist chapel ; on April 16, 1870, was first known as THE NEW CHELSEA THEATRE, and afterwards as THE BELGRAVIA.
CRITERION, underneath the Restaurant of that name, Piccadilly. C. J. Phipps, architect. Opened March 21, 1874 ; lessees, Messrs. Spiers & Pond.
ELEPHANT AND CASTLE, opposite the Chatham and Dover Railway Station of that name. Messrs. Dean, Son & Co., architects. Opened Dec. 26, 1872 ; first lessee, E. T. Smith.
EMPIRE, Leicester Square. Mr. Thos. Verity, architect. Opened April 17, 1884 ; proprietors, The Empire Co. Limited. Built on the site of Saville House, which was occupied from Feb. 14, 1806, to April 23, 1846, by Miss Linwood for her Gallery of Needle- work. Saville House after- wards became the Eldorado Music Hall and Caf Chantant, and was burned down March i, 1865.
GAIETY, Strand. C. J. Phipps, architect. Opened Dec. 21, 1868; lessee, Mr. John Hol- lingshead. Built on the site of the Strand Music Hall.
GLOBE. Mr. S. Simpson, builder. Opened Nov. 28, 1868 ; proprietor, Mr. Sefton Parry. Built on the site of Lyons Inn, an Old Chancery Inn of Court.
GRAND, Islington. Mr. Frank Matcham, architect. Opened Aug. 4, 1883 ; first lessees, Messrs. Clarence Holt and Charles Willmott. Built on the site of the Philharmonic Music Hall and Theatre; burned down Sept. 6, 1882.
HOLBORN, High Holborn, W.C. Messrs. Finch Hill & Paraire, architects. Opened Oct. 6, 1866; proprietor, Mr. Sefton Parry. Afterwards known as THE MIRROR and DUKE'S; burned down July 5, 1880.
NEW ROYAL AMPHITHEATRE, High Holborn, W.C. Thomas Smith, architect. Opened May 25, 1867 ; proprietors, Messrs. McCollum and Charman. Opened as a circus, but having at the same time a dramatic licence. Subsequently called THE NATIONAL Theatre, the CONNAUGHT, the ALCAZAE ; now THE HOLBORN Theatre.
NOVELTY, Great Queen Street, Lincoln's Inn. Mr. Thomas Verity, architect. Opened Dec. 9, 1882 ; proprietors, The Novelty Co. Limited.
OPERA COMIQUE, Strand, Holywell and Wych Streets. F. H. Fowler, architect. Opened Oct. 29, 1870; first lessees, Messrs. Leslie, Steele, and Norton.
PRINCE'S THEATRE, Coventry Street, Hay- market Mr. C. J. Phipps, architect. Opened Jan. 1 8, 1884; proprietor, Mr. Edgar Bruce.