Page:A History of Cawthorne.djvu/57

From Wikisource
Jump to navigation Jump to search
This page has been proofread, but needs to be validated.

HISTORY OF CAWTHORNE.

33


Goodenough, Prebendary of Carlisle and Southwell, by his wife Cecilia Markham, daughter of the Archbishop of York. Their surviving children are the Rev. Charles Walter, Vicar of Crowton, Cheshire, and Captain Frederick Stanhope, 1st. Batt. Somersets. Regt. He died at Weaverham, Oct. 29, 1874, aged 79.

The sixth son, Philip, was sometime a captain in the Grenadier Guards and Page of honour to George III. and George IV., a General in the army, and Colonel of the 13th Light Infantry. He married, May 2nd, 1865, Mary Catharine, daughter of ——— Harrison, Esq., and widow of Edward R. Strickland, Esq.: she died July 25th, 1865. General Stanhope died at 70, Harlcy Street, London, Feb. 21, 1880.

Their seventh son, Hugh, was a barrister-at-law of the Middle Temple, living at Glen Allen, near Alnwick. He. married May 11, 1848, Amy Anne, fifth daughter of Henry Percy Pulleine, Esq:, of Crakehall. He died without issue, Dec. 24th, 1871.

The daughters of this Walter and Mary Winifrid Stanhope have been seven in number: Marianne, married to Robert Hudson, Esq., of Tadworth Court, near Reigate, who died Sept, 1862: Anne Winifrid, who died 17 March, 1860; Catharine and Eliza, who both died in infancy; Isabella, who died May, 1857; and the surviving daughters, Frances Mary and Maria Alicia, now of Banks Hall.

The late John Spencer-Stanhope, Esq., of Cannon Hall, was born on Sunday, May 27th, 1787, and educated at Westminster and Christ Church, Oxford. He was the author of a work which Hunter speaks of as "one of the most elegant works in modern literature, and by a distinguished native and resident in this [Staincross] Wapentake." The work is called "Olympia, or Topography illustrative of the actual state of the Plain of Olympia and of the Ruins of the City of Elis." It was published by Murray in 1817, and dedicated to "the Royal Academy of Inscriptions and Belles Lettres of the Institute of France." It was republished in 1824 and 1835, and again with the addition of many engravings in 1865, under the title of "Platæa, Olympia, Elis," receiving a most favourable notice from the press, and notably from the Saturday Review.