ton, Jamaica, whence he removed to Charleston, South Carolina, about 1765 or 1766. Settling in the wealthy and cultivated Huguenot settlement of St. Stephen's Parish, he soon acquired an extensive and remunerative prac- tice, but on the outbreak of the Revolu- tion he espoused the cause of the colonies and served at intervals with Marion's corps. He was also surgeon in Col. Joseph Maybank's cavalry regi- ment, and was "chief surgeon of the Regiment of Light Dragoons" in Col. Daniel Harry's cavalry, in which capa- city he was present at the siege of Sa- vannah. When Count Pulaski was wounded in this fight Dr. Lynah, with the assistance of his son and two others, removed him from the line of fire and extracted the bullet on the field. This bullet and a note from one of Count Pulaski's Aides-de-camp is now in the possession of the Historical Society of Georgia.
At the close of the war he removed to Charleston, South Carolina, where his attractive personality and profes- sional skill enabled him to build up a large practice. He was one of the founders of the Medical Society of South Carolina, and at the time of his death held a commission as surgeon- general of the state of South Carolina.
He died of pulmonary tuberculosis in October, 1809, and was buried at Laurel Spring Plantation.
He married in Ireland, and one son, Edward Lynah, who likewise studied medicine, was the sole issue of which there is record.
A fine portrait, by an unknown artist, is in the possession of Mr. J. H. Lynah of Savannah, Georgia.
(Privatp family record.)
Lyster, Henry F. (1837-1894).
Henry F. Lyster, son of the Rev. William N. and Ellen Emily Cooper Lyster, was born in Sanderscourt, Ire- land, November 6, 1837. In 1846 the family settled in Detroit, and the boy
had his general education in Detroit schools and Michigan University, where he took his A. B. in 1858 and stayed on there at the medical department, obtaining his M. D. in 1860 and begin- ning practice in Detroit at once, but on the outbreak of war in 1861 he was commissioned assistant surgeon of the Second Michigan Infantry and on July 15, 1862, surgeon of the Fifth Michigan Infantry. He was wounded at the battle of the Wilderness on May 5, 1864; on recovery he returned to his post and was mustered out May 28, 1865. He was surgeon-in-chief of the Third Brigade, First Division, Third Army Corps for some time, also medical inspector and medical director of the Third Corps. Return- ing to Detroit he continued in practice imtil disabled by disease. During 1868- 69 he was lecturer on surgery at the University of Michigan and during 1888-90, professor of theory and practice of medicine and clinical medicine. He was a founder of the Michigan College of Medicine, president of its faculty in 1879 and professor of princi- ples and practice of medicine and clin- ical diseases of the chest, 1875-76. In 1873-74 co-editor (new series) "Penin- sular Journal of Medicine," and in 1882 assistant editor of "Detroit Clinic," and was a founder of the Detroit Acad- emy of Medicine; of the Wayne County Medical Society; of the Michigan State Medical Society.
Dr. Lyster was about six feet tall and of spare build, dark hair, dark eyebrows and blue, clear eyes. On January 30, 1867, he married Winifred Lee Brent, daughter of Capt. Thomas Lee Brent of the United States Army. Mrs. Lyster with five children survived him, and one son became a physician.
Dr. Lyster died of pernicious anemia on the train between Detroit and Chicago, October 3, 1894.
"Amputations Through Condyles of the Femur. " (" Detroit Review of Medi- cine and Pharmacy," vol. i.)