and for twenty years labored as a teacher with distinction and success, on retire- ment being made emeritus professor and president of the faculty.
In 1S41 the Patholoj:;ical Society was organized, and Miller was its first presi- dent. He was, subsequently, one of the attending surgeons to the Washington Infirmary, and one of the consulting staff of Providence Hospital and the Children's Hospital. The people did not then ap- preciate his efforts to abate nuisances and eradicate local causes of disease. To him is due the credit of abolishing the primitive and unsanitary habits, prac- tices, and customs of a village population, for his untiring zeal in the interests of sanitary reform drove the reluctant muni- cipal authorities to enact ordinances which clothed the board of health with some measure of authority to declare a nuisance and power to abate it. He died on September 20, 1873.
Dr. Miller was the author of "Intro- ductory Lecture on Anatomy," Washing- ton, 1840. D. S. L.
Minutes of Medical Society, September 22, 1837 and September 30, 1S74. Transactions, American Medical Association, 1874, XXV.
Miltenberger, George Warner (1819-
Born in Baltimore, March 17, 1819, this obstetrician was the son of Gen. Anthony Felix Wybert Miltenberger, and educated at the Boisseau Academy, Baltimore, and at the University of Vir- ginia, taking his M. D. at Maryland University in 1840. Soon after he was appointed demonstrator of anatomy in his alma mater. His talents as a lecturer led to the further honor of a lectureship on pathological anatomy in 1847. For several years he had a large quiz class and a surgical service in University Hospital. There he taught almost every- thing and laid broad and deep the foundations of solid attainments in the various branches of medicine.
In 1852 he succeeded Prof. Samuel Chew in the chair of materia medica and
therapeutics, in 1855 becoming dean of the faculty and in 1858 succeeding to the chair of obstetrics. His close application to his professional work was notorious; he did all his reading in his carriage, and enjoyed but little rest or recreation. At one time he had eighteen horses in his service. He gave up all amusements and social pleasures, church services and holi- days; for many years he seemed to live only for the good of his patients. He was a ready and pleasing lecturer — never using notes — and impressed his hearers with his honesty, his sincerity, and his mastery of his subject. In 1891 he offered his resignation — for the second time — which was accepted and he became pro- fessor emeritus and honorary president of the faculty, having completed his half century in the service of the university from which he had graduated.
Dr. Miltenberger was president of the Baltimore Obstetrical and Gynecological Society in 1885-86; president of the Med- ical and Chirurgical Faculty of Maryland in 1886-87, and was appointed consulting physician to the Johns Hopkins Hospital on its opening in 1889. On his accession to the chair of obstetrics, his attention was turned to that direction and all his later writings were on that subject, in the "Maryland Medical Journal" and in the " Transactions of the Medical and Chirur- gical Faculty of Maryland." On April 30, 1906, a portrait of him was presented by his friends to the Medical and Chirur- gical Faculty. His wife, nee Neale, died in 1898, and he left no direct descendants. At his death, December 11, 1905, he left a large fortime to his nephews and nieces,
E. F. C.
For sketches and portrait see Cordell's Medical Annals of Maryland, 1903, and History of the University of Maryland, 1907.
Miner, Julius Francis (1823-1886).
Julius Francis Miner, surgeon, was born in Peru, Berkshire County, Massa- chusetts, on February 16, 1823. As a boy he went to two preparatory schools and as a medical student to the Berk- shire Medical College, Pittsfield, Massa-