Page:A cyclopedia of American medical biography vol. 2.djvu/463

From Wikisource
Jump to navigation Jump to search
This page needs to be proofread.


STEWART


409


STEWART


which had an extensive sale and is used in the schools.

In 1904 Dr. Stevenson had a cerebral hemorrhage and after six years' illness, died August 13, 1910, at St. Elizabeth's Hospital, Chicago, where she had been a patient for several years. The gathering in the hospital chapel for her funeral services was a notable one, men and women, prominent in every walk of life from East and West came to pay their last tribute to the woman whom they had admired and honored. A. B. W.

N. Y. Med. Record, June 10, 1870. Jacobi-Putman, Mar>', in Woman's VV'ork in America.

Waite, Dr. Lucy, in "Distinguished Physi- cians and Surgeons of Chicago." The New World, Chicago, .August 21, 1910. Personal Information.

Stewart, David (1S18-1899).

He was born at Port Penn, Delaware, February 14, 1813, the son of Dr. David Stewart, and was educated at New- castle Academy, Delaware, settling in Baltimore about 1831. He was a mem- ber of the state senate in 1840 and on June 8 of that year represented the Pharmacistry of Baltimore in the found- ing of the Maryland College of Pharmacy. He was the first independent professor of pharmacy in the United States and lectured at the University of Maryland on that branch until 1847, where he took his M. D. in 1844. With Drs. Frick, Theoljald and C. Johnston, he founded and lectured at the Maryland Medical Institute, 1847. He was chemist to the State Agricultural Society and professor of chemistry and natural philosophy and vice-president of St. John's College, Annapolis, 1855 to 1862. He removed to Port Penn, Newcastle County, Delaware, 1862, and died at that place September 2, 1899.

Dr. Stewart was one of the most enlightened and public-spirited pharma- cists of his day. To him the profession of Maryland owes the introduction of many valuable remedial agents, as col- lodion, cod liver oil, glycerine, gutta percha, etc. Through a committee of


which he was chairman, the Medical and Chirurgical Faculty has the distinction of having been the first society in America (June 8, 1855) to propose the substitu- tion of the decimal system of weights and measures for those then in use. ("Journal and Transactions of Maryland College of Pharmacy," 1860.)

E. F. C.

Cordell's Medical .\nnals of Maryland, I'JO.'J.

Stewart, David Denison (1858-1905).

David Denison Stewart, noted among his contemporaries for his improvement in the technic of electrolytic wiring in the operative treatment of aneurysm was the son of Franklin and Amelia Jacques Stewart, and born on October 10, 1858. He was a student of medicine at Jefferson Medical College and took his M. D. there in 1879. Both clinical and acquisitive instincts were highly developed and in later years he devoted himself specially to aneurysms and to diseases of the stom- ach and intestines. He came early into notice when in Kensington, Philadelphia, by his skillful diagnosis in some cases supposed to be cerebrospinal meningitis which he found to be lead encephalo- pathy caused by the local bakers using chrome yellow in cakes largely sold to children. His preeminence in his special field was fully recognized by his colleagues.

His writings included many very original papers, notably a third communi- cation on " The Occurrence of an Hither- to Undescribed Form of Chronic Nephri- tis unassociated with Albuminuria," which appeared in "The Lancet" (London), September 4, 1897, after being read before the Association of American Physicians, May, 1897.

Dr. Stewart never married, but he Avas genial and beloved and specially fond of music. As to his appointments he was clinical lecturer on medicine at Jefferson Medical College; professor of clinical medicine in the Philadelphia Clinic; physician to St. Christophers Hospital for Children; member of the Association of American Physicians, and fellow of the University of Pennsylvania.