three troops of horse; but Hough, who was a man equally resolute and virtuous, still remained inflexible, and denied the power of deprivation. For this he was accused, by the King's proftor, of contumacy, and his name struck out of the college book. He sought redress in Westminster-Hall, but failed of gaining it; whilst, by order of the court, the lodge was broke open, and Parker installed by proxy. This matter had now become the subject, of general concern, and would probably not have ended here, but for the agitation of a more momentous question relative to the church establishment, which immediately succeeded it, viz. "the Bishops' Petition." Hough was elected Bishop of Oxford 1690, translated to Coventry 1699, and to Worcester in 1717.
The dimensions of the cathedral are, five hundred and fourteen feet in length, seventy-eight feet in breath, and sixty-eight feet in height. The tower rises one hundred and sixty-two feet from the pavement. Adjoining this edifice are the cloisters, and the chapter-house; the former in perfect preservation, measuring one hundred and twenty-five feet by one hundred and twenty; the latter of a decagonal form, its roof supported by a solitary central pillar. Here we find the library, a warm and comfortable room, with the very unusual