Page:Catholic Encyclopedia, volume 17.djvu/681

From Wikisource
Jump to navigation Jump to search
This page needs to be proofread.


SAINT MABT 665 SAINT BfABT'S

youiu; ladies, a boardingHschool for small boys, and the inyitationof M^/t. MueUsiepen, Vicar General of

the (uocesan home for orphan boys: they are also in St. Louis, to settle m that archdiocese. The Sisters

charge of the parochial schools in St. Stephen's, St. rented three rooms opposite St. Mary's Church, and

Agatna's, St. Andrew's, and Holy Croaa parishes, in the pastor of this cnurch, Fr. Faerber (d. 1905),

Portland, and parochiid schools in Milwaukee, became their epiritual adviser and lifelong friend.

Sublimity, Verboort. St. Louis, Gervais, Tillamook, Soon after their arrival a smallpox epidemic gave

Roy , Beaverton , ana Hillsboro , all in the Archdiocese them opportunity for active service; this was followed

of Oregon City. There are 113 professed Sisters, 5 in 1873 by cholera, and in 1878 by yellow fever. In

novices, and 2 postulants, with 1440 pupils. the latter year the community numbered 38 members,

of whom eight went to Memphis, Tenn., and five to

Saint^'aaarj, Sisters OP (Namur, Belgium).— This Canton, Mws., to nurse the ydlow fever victims; institute, whose sole purpose is the education of these thirteen Sisters contracted the disease and five young gurls, was founded m 1819, in the old city of of them died. A building had been erected for the Namur, Belgium, where the mother-house of the community in 1873, andbecame their first mother- order is located and it was canonically approved by house. Tney were incorporated under the laws of the Holy See. Early in 186 1 the rwiowned missionary the State of Missouri in 1874 as Sisters of St. Mary Rev. P. J. DeSmet. S. J., while making a short of St. Louis, Mo. On 4 October, 1880. Mother sojourn in his native land visited Namur, and duxinsL Ottilia and sixteen other Sisters made liieir first an interview with Rev. Mother Claire removed all vows in the presence of Mgr. MueUsiepen in accord- doubts as to the advisability of complying wth his ance with the Rules of the Third Orcter Regular of reouest to send Sisters to America. Bishop Timon St. Francis and the particuhur constitutions of the of Buffalo, had long desired to procure a community Sisters of St. Mary. A few days after this event of foreign nuns to conduct schools in his diocese. (17 Oct.) Mother Ottilia died and was succeeded as Accordingly upon the bishop's initiative negotiations superior by Mother Seraphia (d. 1912) who remained were entered mto and in Au^t, 1863, five Sisters in office tul 1910, when Alother Aloysia was elected set sail for America. Fr.Smantis,S. J., acted as their superior. She was succeeded in 1921 by Mother guide and protector. These religious were Sister Concordia, formerly mistress of novices. The present Emelie, superior and later first provincial of the mother-house and novitiate is St. Mary's Infirmary American missions, Sistere Mary Qaver, Mary of (St. Louis), opened for occupancy in 1889. Rt. Saint Joseph, Augustine, and Paula. Of that little Rev. O. S. J. Hoog, Vicar General of St. Louis, is band one still survives. This aged relisious has the spiritual adviser of the community, which now enjoyed the unusual experience of having welcomed to numbers 307 Sisters and 30 novices. Fr. Henry Saint Joseph's Academv six successive bishops of Henry Jaegering (d. 1919) was the faithful chaplain Buffalo. Lockport, N. Y., the first American mission of St. Mary's Infirmary for thirty-seven years. naturaUy became the provincial mother-house. From 1895 till 1905 the Sisters assumed charge of Bishop Timon having been one of the first nussionary the German Hospital (now Research Hospital), priests of Texas, was not unmindful of the needs of Kansas City, Mo., at the invitation of the hospital the South, and in response to an appeal made by directors. In 1904 they decided to build a hospital Bishop Dubois of Galveston, he asked Mother Emelie of their own in that city, and the new St. Mary's to send a community to that diocese. The mis- Hospital was completed m 1909. Connected with it sions in the South spread rapidlv. In 1921 Texas is a training schoolfor nurses organised in 1916. wiUi became a separate province. Meanwhile the tree a present attendance of 50 students. The number of planted in 1863 was spreading out other branches, patients cared for at this hospital in 1920 was 4705, At present the institute comprises three provinces in of whom 565 were free patients, 1214 Catholics. America besides those in Europe, namely: the North, and 3491 non-Catholics. Since its completion (1909) with the provincial house at Lockport, N.Y.; Canada, the hospital has received 38,255 patients, of whom with provincial house at Ottawa; and Texas, with 5488 were free patients. It has a capacity of 175 provincial house at Fort Worth. Belgium and beds. In addition to this and St. Mary's Infirmary, England constitute the provinces of Europe. The with a capacity of 150 beds, the Sisters have 5 other novices in each province are assipied to duties within hospitals: Mt. St. Rose Sanatorium, for diseases of that province. Special facilities for the trainmg the throat and chest, opened at St. Louis, Mo., in of teachers are afitorded. Saint Mary's House of 1902, with a capacity of 150 beds; St. Joseph's Studies enjoys the honor of being the firat peraianent Hospital, St. Charles Mo., founded 1885, capacity, building of the Sisters CoUege of the Catholic Uni- 35 beds: St. Mary's Hospital, Jefferson City, Mo., versity of America, Washington, D. C. This enables opened in 1905 with a capacity of 45 beds: St. the American Sisters to pursue university courses fVancis Hospital, Blue Island, 111., firet building of study and to obtain degrees as the European Sisters opened for patients 1905, new hospital opened 1916, do at Oxford and Louvain. Saint Joseph^s Academy . capacity 100 beds; St. Mary's Hospital, Madison, Lockport, is chartered under the Albany Board or Ww., opened in 1913, capacity, 75 beds. Regents. In 1921 the Sisters in America numbered

282, with 13 novices, 14 postulants, and 6538 pupils. Saint BCary's CoUeffe, at Prairie du Chien. in the

State of Wisconsin, U. S. A., is an outgrowtn of St.

Saint SSarj, Sisters of (St. Louis, Mo.), a con- Mary's Institute and was eptablished in 1872. The

^gationof nursing Sisters founded in St. Louis, Mo., college occupies the site of Fort Crawford, which

m 1872, by five members of the Servants of the was built in 1829 by Colonel, afterwards President,

Divine Heart of Jesus, who migrated from Elberfield, Zachary Taylor, and served as a bulwark asainst

Germany, during the persecutions of the Kultur- the Indians. Government troops were withcbawn

kampf. The original order was founded in Paris from it in 1859, and it was purcnased in the sixties

in 1866 with the consent of Archbishop Darbov for bv Mr. John Lawlor, who, with the assistance of

the nursing of orphans. Two of its members being Mgr. P. M. Abbelen and Mother Caroline, foundress

German were compelled to leave France during the of the Order of School Sisters of Notre Dame, in

Franco-Prussian War and established a temporary America, established the Institute for the furtherance

home at £3berfield, where they devoted themselves of Catholic education. In 1897 its name was legally

to the nursing of wounded soldiers. These were changed to St. Mary's Academy, made famous in

Sisters Ottilia and Ma^dalena, who in 1872, with 1910 by the erection on its extensive grounds of a

Sisters Elizabeth, Francises, and Mariaona, accepted splendid monument to Father Marquette. In 1913