Page:Catholic Encyclopedia, volume 17.djvu/90

From Wikisource
Jump to navigation Jump to search
This page needs to be proofread.


AUTUN


74


AZORES


given to Austria by the Peace Conference was established as a separate province. The province of Vorarlberg desired to oe detached from Vienna, voted for union with Switzerland, but was over- ruled by the Supreme Coimcil at Paris, which de- sired to preserve the integrity of Austria, as estab- lished by the treaty of St. Germain. To Poland was apportioned the Duchy of Teschen in Austrian Silesia, and part of Galicia, including Cracow and Lemberjs; to Ukraine another part of Galicia; to Rumania, the extreme southeastern part of Aus- tria (Bukowina), with Czemowitz, and Transylvania. Slavonia, Croatia, Dalmatia, Camiola, Bosnia, Herzegovina, parts of Hungary and of Dalmatia joined Servia to form Jugoslavia. Trentino was ceded to Italy. By the treaty of Rapallo, signed on 12 November, 1920, Gorz, Gradisca, and Trieste, all of Istria, and a large part of Camiola passed to Italy. On 10 October, 1920, the plebiscite in Zone A, the Klagenfurt district of Carinthia resulted in an overwhelming majority in favor of Austria. Ac- cording to the terms of the Treaty of St. Germain, if that zone went in favor of Austria, there would be no vote in Zone B, which would automatically revert to Austria. When the result of the plebiscite was known, the Jugoslav troops marched into the zone, but evacuated in a month by the orders of the Supreme Council. According to the treaty of peace between the allied and associated powers signed at Trianon, 4 June, 1920, Western Hungary

foes to Austria, much to the opposition of the lungarians. In May, 1921, Salzburg voted for tmion with Germany, but there is doubt as to its realization.

Antun, DiocBSB or (Axtgustodunensib; cf. C. E., II-144a), comprises the entire Department of Saone- et-Loire in France, and is suffragan of Lyons. Rt. Rev. Henri-Raymond Villard was appointed to this see 13 July, 1906, and filled it imtil his death 8 December, 1914. Under his administration the thousandth anniversary of the Abbey of Cluny was celebrated 10-12 September, 1910, as well as the centenary of Louis Veuillot, at Montmartre, Novem- ber, 1913. In 1914, on the feast of the Holy Rosary, Bishop Villard made a vow to have a Mass per- petually celebrated in the cathedral every day of the month of May, for the intention of France, and particularly for the soldiers killed during the war. Upon the death of Bishop Villard the Rt. Rev. Ddsir6-Hyacinthe Berthoin, b. at Chatte, 14 October, 1856, was appointed to succeed him, 1 June, 1915. Bishop Berthoin died 24 February, 1922, and the see is now vacant. By 1920 statistics there are 604,446 Catholics in this diocese, 813 priests, 65 first class parishes, 458 succursal parishes, and 68 vicariates with salaries formerly paid by the state.

Auxiliary Bisbop (cf. C. E., 11-145), one who is appointed as coadjutor to a residential bishop on account of age, ill-health, or the multiplicity of matters requiring episcopal attention, yet who does not enjoy the right of succession. (See Coadjutor Bishop.)

ATellino, Diocese of (Abelunensib; cf. C. E., II-149d), in the province of Naples, Italy, is suf- fragan of Benevento. Bishop Angelini, who came to this see in 1896, d. 4 February, 1908, and was succeeded by Rt. Rev. Giuseppe Padula, b. 1847, appointed Bishop of Bovino 24 March, 1898, trans- ferred to this diocese 2 August, 1908. In 1920 the diocese counted 107,598 Catholics, 34 parishes, 160 secular, and 21 regular clergy, 25 seminarians, 90 chiutshes or chapels, 18 brothers, and 65 sisters.


Aversft, Diocesb of (Avebsanenbis; cf. C. E., II-151d), in the province of Caserta, Italy, is directly sub j ect to the Holy See. The present bishop, Rt. Rev. Settimio Caracciolo di Torchiarolo, b. at Naples, 1862, was appointed Bishop of Alife 24 March, 1898, and transferred to this see 10 April, 1911, to succeed Bishop Vento, d. 29 September, 1910. In 1920 there were 160,000 Catholics in this diocese, 55 parishes, 350 seciilar, and 300 regular priests, 100 seminarians, 377 churches or chapels, and 20 sisters.

ATiaton.— By a decree of 24 March, 1920, Our Lady of Loretto was proclaimed patroness of aviators by the Holy See; at the same time the Congregation of Rites issued a special formula of blessing for flying machines, which has now been inserted in the Roman Ritual. The choice of Our Lady of Loretto as special protectress of aviators recalls the ancient tradition that her home at Nazareth, in which the Incarnation took place, was miraculously carried by angels through the air in safety to Loretto on the Italian shore of the Adri- atic, where it is still held in veneration.

Acta Ap. Sedii (1920), 175.

Avignon, Archdiocb8b of (Avenionenbis; cf. C. E., II-159c), comprises the Department of Vaucluse, France. Its present archbishop. Most Rev. Gaspar- Maire Latty, b. in Cagnes, 1844, was appointed Bishop of Chalons 21 May, 1894, and promoted to this see 15 October, 1907. By 1920 statistics the total Catholic population of the territory numbers 238,656, of whom 49,304 are in Avignon. There are 29 first class parishes, 144 succursal parishes, 69 vicariates, 315 secular priests, 1 higher seminary, and 1 ecclesiastical school.

Avlla, Diocese OF (ABULENai8;cf.C.E.,II>160c), is suffragan of Valladolid, in Spain. Bishop Beltran y Asensio, appointed to this see in 1898, d. 3 November, 1917, was succeeded by Rt. Rev. Enrique Pla y Deniel, b. at Barcelona, 1876, ap- pointed bishop 4 December, 1918. The Catholic population of the diocese numbers 254,000 by 1920 statistics, and there are 393 parishes, 418 priests, 393 churches, and 245 chapels, 37 convents, 127 religious, and 425 sisters.

Ayaeacbo (or Guamanga), Diocssb of (Atacu- QUENSis DE HuamanOa; cf. C. E., II-164a), in Peru, is suffragan of Lima. Rt. Rev. Fidelis Olivas Escudero, b. at Pomabamba, 1849, appointed bishop of this diocese 19 April, 1900, now fills the see. B^ 1920 statistics there are 254XX)0 Catholics in the diocese, 393 parishes, 418 priests, 393 churches, 245 chapels, 37 convents, 127 religious, and 425 sisters.

Axoras (cf. C. E., II-168a).— The census of 1911

§ives the population of the island as 243,376, a ensity of 264 per square mile. The estimates of the population of eacn island vary greatly, but the most trustworthy seem to be as follows:


Idand


Areai>er aq. mile


PopulatioD


Denmty

persq.

mile


Corvo

Flores

Fayal

Pico -•

Sao Jorge .. Graciosa ... Sao Miguel Santa Maria Terceira —


7 67 64

175 40 17

297 42

239


746

7,233

20,461

21,966

14,309

7,747

116,619

6,268

48,029


106 127 319 125 357 455 392 149 215